Diffuse Lipomatosis of Thyroid Gland. Case Report and Review of Literature.
In normal thyroid glands, adipose tissue is distributed only under the capsule and along vessels.It is not usually present within the thyroid gland. Only a few adipose tissue -containing thyroid lesions have been reported to date.
Lipomatosis of thyroid gland is very rare condition,characterized by infiltration of adipose tissue in the thyroid gland.The pathophysiology of adipose tissue infiltration in the thyroid gland remains unclear.
We report a case of a 69-year-old female who presented in the Emergency Room of our hospital, complaining dysphaghia,dyspnea ,swelling of the neck and weight loss.
Her thyroid panel tests were in the range,ultrasound showed the typical appearance of multinodular goiter.A computed tomography revealed a rightward tracheal deviation and compression narrowing the tracheal lumen more than 50%.
The patient underwent total thyroidectomy. The histopathological examination revealed that adipose tissue was diffusely distributed throughout the thyroid gland.There is no evidence of atypia or mitotic activity.
Capsular infiltration or amyloid deposition were not observed. Nuclear grooves or intranuclear cytoplasmic inclusions were not observed. Accordingly, diffuse lipomatosis of thyroid gland was diagnosed.
2. Endocrinol Diabetes Metab Case Rep. 2016; 2016: 160007.
Published online 2016 Mar 30. doi: 10.1530/EDM-16-0007
3. Dhayagude, R.G., Massive, A. and Dinda, A.K. (2009) Diffuse Lipomatosis of the Thyroid gland: A Pathologic Curiosity. Indian Journal of Pathology and Microbiology, 52, 215-216. https://doi.org/10.4103/0377-4929.48922
4. Ge Y, Luna MA, Cowan DF, Truong LD and Ayala AG: Thyrolipoma and thyrolipomatosis: 5 case reports and historical review of the literature. Ann Diagn Pathol 13: 384-389, 2009
5. Sanuvada RV, Chowhan AK, Rukmangadha N, Patnayak R, Yootla M & Amancharla LY. 2014. Thyrolipomatosis: an inquisitive rare entity. Gland Surgery 3 6â€“9
6. Arslan A, Alic B, Uzunlara AK, Buyukbayrama H & SarÄ± I 1999 Diffuse lipomatosis of thyroid gland. Auris, Nasus, Larynx 26 213â€“215. (doi:10.1016/S0385-8146(98)00049-2)
7. Schroder S & Bocker W 1985 Lipomatous lesions of the thyroid gland: a review. Applied Pathology 3 140â€“149
8. Lau E, Freitas P, Costa J, Batista R, MaÂ´ximo V, Coelho R, Matos-Lima L, Eloy C & Carvalho D 2015 Loss of mitochondrial SDHB expression: what is its role in diffuse thyroid lipomatosis? Hormone and Metabolic Research 47 165â€“167. (doi:10.1055/s-0034-1398559.
9. Gonulalan G, Esen H, Erikoglu M & Cakir M 2012 Thyroid lipomatosis. Internal Medicine 51 3383â€“3385. (doi:10.2169/internalmedicine.51.6765)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
1. Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
2. Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
3. Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
4. In case of virtual slide publication the authors agree to copy the article in a structural modified version to the journal's VS archive.